New Execution Date for John Ferguson – Mon. Aug. 5th at 6pm
Gov. Scott has shamefully set the execution of the severely mentally ill John Ferguson for Monday, August 5th at 6pm ET. The FADP website will be updating the Vigil/Protest and Action information.
PLEASE TAKE ACTION: Contact Governor Rick Scott and ask him to convene the Board of Executive Clemency to commute the death sentence of the certified severely mentally ill John Ferguson to Life in Prison with No Parole. Ferguson has had more than 40 diagnoses of psychosis and schizophrenia over the last 50 years and spent almost a decade in state mental hospitals, prior to the crimes for which he is to be executed.
Gov. Rick Scott – Phone: 850-488-7146
“It is undisputed that Mr. Ferguson is a paranoid schizophrenic. Over nearly 50 years, multiple State doctors have diagnosed him as profoundly mentally ill and suffering from hallucinations and delusions. No justice will be served by executing a very sick, elderly man.” — Christopher Handman, Lead Attorney for John Ferguson, Oct. 17, 2012
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1986 that it is unconstitutional to execute someone who lacks the “ability to comprehend the nature of the penalty.” Florida law requires only “awareness” – that Mr. Ferguson knows he was convicted and, as a result, will be executed. “Awareness” apparently does not include being sane at the time of the crime or understanding what an execution is, in reality.
Tampa Bay Times editorial on why Ferguson should not be executed.
The FADP Coalition needs your help! FADP has been working and holding events around the state with exonerated Death Row survivors, murder victims’ family members, human rights groups, civil rights groups, faith organizations, community organizations, legal groups, student groups, and many others. We have to do more. We simply don’t have the funds. We can’t do this without your help. We need donations now for gas, food, printing, handouts, signs, banners, truck repairs, cell phone use, etc.
Shine the light,
Check out the FADP Facebook Page for more news and updates.
P.O. Box 82943
Tampa, FL 33682
- Death row inmate to appeal to U.S. Supreme Court (TBO.com)
- Death Row Inmate’s Lawyer To Appeal To US Supreme Court (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Attorney for man convicted of killing 8 in South Fla. to appeal to U.S. Supreme Court (wpbf.com)
- Mass killer’s execution set for August 5 (wptv.com)
- Scott Sets New Date For Executing Mass Killer (wctv.tv)
- Death row inmate to appeal to US Supreme Court (news4jax.com)
- Death row inmate to appeal to US Supreme Court (local10.com)
- New execution date set for Miami mass killer Ferguson (miamiherald.com)
- Fla. Gov. Scott meets with Fla. Capitol protesters (utsandiego.com)
- Faster Executions in Florida; New Bill Signed by Gov. Rick Scott (progressivepress.net)